Sunday, January 29, 2012

To Veal or NOT To Veal!

     One of the main goals I have, besides the technique (method) and ingredient blends and timing of meals, is to learn to make those dishes that I have always loved but never had a real hand in making.
To "do" rather than just observe, since I learn better that way, is part of this whole "learn to really cook" thing I'm going thru.
     There's a Billy Crystal movie I saw once that said that most "guys" order Veal Parmesan when they eat out, but I don't know if that's really true or not, EVEN if "I" do, quite often.  I've had lots of experience with the interpretations of that dish, as I've eaten it in a lot of different establishments.
Just like a Turkey Club, or any other dish, I suppose.  The more you eat it, in more places, you see the variations on the theme.  Some good, and some well...........not so good.
     I can't tell you that yesterday's milestone meal was the way I like it best, but there was nothing wrong with the way it came out.  It tasted fine.  I had checked my two foundational cook books, and I honestly became a bit frustrated with the "go here first" and "see Parmesan" references, so I decided to enlist the input of my wife, who is the REAL "cook" in the house.
     With her guidance, and periodic reminders to "let me do it," (because if you are a cook, admittedly it is hard to keep your hands off, ............I understand) I followed her instructions step by step, and was quite surprised how easy and fast it really was to make this dish.
      I didn't like using a fork to move the Veal from the flour to the egg wash, and into the bread crumbs, and used my fingers.   I had MUCH better control of the meat, even IF it was a tad more messy.
     Also, I have to admit that I didn't do a sauce from "scratch" for this dish.  I want to, and will learn to make a sauce, but yesterday was not the day.  I could have embellished the sauce a bit when I first put it into the frying pan (I didn't deep fry the Veal), but didn't think of it, frankly.
      What did I learn:

-Making sauce from scratch would enhance the flavor of the dish.
-Noodles need the full 10 minutes + to be truly soft.  El Dante is fine though.
-Forks are not as easy as fingers when working with the uncooked Veal.
-careful spooning of the finished Veal Parmesan from the skillet to the plate, keeps the
  colorful visual of the cheese on top, evident.
-I could have gone BACK to the egg wash for a second pass at the corn meal topping
  if I wanted, to build up a thicker coating.
-Veal cooks VERY quickly, and is easy to burn.  Back off the heat fairly quickly once you
 begin to fry the portions.
-I felt like Emeril when I was adding the Olive Oil to the skillet (lol).

No comments:

Post a Comment