Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Cook Books Out The Wazoo!!

I guess I knew that my wife had a ton of cook books in the house, but I didn't know quite how MANY until I began to show some interest in learning to cook!

In a previous blog entry here, I discussed the three books that I had acquired for myself, and of these three, the "Joy Of Cooking" was the one that seemed the most logical to use.  Constantly updated for the "times" and logically laid out, I figure it to be the basic book of choice for "me" on this journey.

Last night my wife showed me two books from the 1940's or so.  The thing is, although there was info there to learn from, there was also terminology that was ancient and confusing.  Who ever heard of "dredging" food, for example.  I know, I know........some of you already have an understanding of that term.  Remember, I'm a newbie.  "Dredging," to ME, is something that the Department of Fish & Game does to a lake, to remove silt from the bottom of a pond or lake.  I don't equate that term with food.

It would seem that I could set myself up for a real headache, trying to use an older cook book for learning, if the terminology is antiquated.  It's sorta like trying to help someone understand the King James version of the Bible, as opposed to the New International Version.  You can get your point across, and understanding will come, only when you can get past the intended meaning and phrasing of the older text.

I had mentioned a copy of "The American International Encyclopedic Cookbook" that we have here.  I was REALLY surprised recently to see that to acquire a copy of that book today (at least according to Amazon.com), it will cost you somewhere in the neighborhood of $275.00 (hardcover, new)!!  Geez!! I think I paid (back in 1978 or so) about $50.00 for that book!!  I didn't know that cook books gained in value like a rare sports car?!

 There is no limit, based on what we already have here, to information.  But it's obviously about taking that information, absorbing it, and making it second nature.  As I listen to my wife discuss various food preparation methods with me, I'm frankly in awe of the information stashed away in her brain.  Maybe I could find a doctor somewhere who knows how to do a brain connection between us, that would allow me to download all that she knows (lol).

What have I learned: The older the cook book, the more you have to translate for today's methods, and the slower the learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment