Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Fun with Sloppy Joe's!

Lunch time was rapidly approaching and, since I had the day off from work, I decided that I would look for something I could make for the two of us.

Since the wife already had a "plan" for the week, and today was supposed to be "Sloppy Joe" day, I figured, "well, how hard could THAT be?!  It's just hamburg and sauce, after all!"  She pointed me to HER particular preferenced recipe and I started in shortly there after.

It called for 1/2 cup of onion, and I opened the onion container and found less than half an onion and figured that would be sufficient.  I chopped it up as small as I thought I would need, put some Olive Oil in a non-stick frying pan, and put the heat on Medium.

While the pan was heating up, I diced up the required amount of green pepper, and pulled the pound of hamburg from the refridgerator; put the green peppers and the onions in the frying pan and "encorporated" (Emeril's favorite word) everything together.

I gave the current mix in the pan a chance to blend, hearing my wife tell me that she "likes to let the peppers and onions have plenty of time to soften," and perhaps ten minutes later, added the Worchester Sauce, the water and the Ketchup to the mix and "encorporated" yet again.

What did I learn: Don't use so many onions, and dice them smaller.  Don't forget to spice up the
      mixture a tad with something like a little hot sauce or whatever.  I can deviate SOME, from the
      written recipe if I know what I'm doing (which I don't, .............yet).

Now for you seasoned veterans out there, I realize that this is small potatoes compared to big meals and
that planning a large meal, or a complex dish is really the challenge, but still.............one small victory at a time, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment