Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Again with the Apples!!

Something mysterious is driving my passion for fruit these days.  I thought I was going to focus on meats, vegetables, and the like.  That's true of course, and yet I find the desert section of meals the most fun for some reason.

Perhaps it is the sweet taste, or the joy of the reward after the meal is completed, I'm not sure.  Whatever it is, I LIKE the dessert menu (don't we all?!).  It has not been uncommon for me to make coffee cakes and the like, from scratch in the past, so it came with no surprise that for Sunday's "roast & potatoes" meal, I would once again try something new.

Jaques Pepin has written a new cookbook called "Essentially Pepin," which I was considering as my "cooking bible" before I went with "The Joy Of Cooking," but the local cookie-cutter bookstore was selling it for double the price, (100% markup is not uncommon as you know), and so I passed on it, opting to record his television shows that were illustrations of the recipes found within it.

This past Sunday morning, I watched a Pepin episode that was taped from the night before, and he made "Apples Bune Fame."  (I think I was interested in it as much as for the apples, as for the "Bune Fame" part.  My wife and I have French blood streaming thru our veins, and so we call each other Bune Fame and Bune Name all the time).

It was fairly straight forward to make.  After seeing his demonstration, I set out to find out if we had the Apricot Jam in house already (and we did, to my surprise).  The only thing that was holding me back was the coring tool that I knew we did not have.  So with a little help from the wife, who showed me how to use a peeling tool to core an apple, I was on my way.

In spite of a not so great substitution, the Apples Bune Fame came out very tasty!

What did I learn:

-I gotta buy an apple coring tool
-Scoring the skin around the top third of an apple is tricky to get lined up.
-Don't use seeded Rye bread as your base
-The recipe in the book (we finally ordered it online for half the price) doesn't
  agree with the abbreviated TV version with regard to basting after 30 minutes
 and the use of bread as a base.
-Give it the FULL hour at 375ºF.

No comments:

Post a Comment