Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Omelet That Wasn't

My wife and I visited our local kitchen supply store recently, looking for a wire cooling screen that was big enough for the size cakes that my wife makes and decorates. 

Since I had been watching videos on YouTube about Omelets, I got the itch to try one.  Seeing a short and slightly strange looking fella standing near me, wearing an apron that announced that he worked there, I asked him if there was an "Omelet making tool" on the shelves somewhere.

What he took me over to see, was basically one of those quicky presto type deals, (you know, like the George Foreman stuff), that you can flip over, shaped like an Omelet.  I wasn't impressed.  Sure, it would "do the trick," but I'm out to learn to do things right; not cheat (which is what these easy bake tools seem to be like). Then with the comment from this strange little man that, "....if you can't make an Omelet there must be something wrong with you," I convinced myself to walk away from both he, and the tool he showed me.

When we got home, I took out my wife's 12 inch cast iron skillet and set to work.  I cut about a 1/4 of a green pepper, (the seedless end) and washed it.  Diced it up and laid it aside. I cut about the same amount of an onion and diced it, and put both it, and the green pepper in the skillet, after putting some Canola Oil on the pan and turning the heat up to about 3/4 of the way.

I decided I wanted some ham on this Omelet, so I took out a package of pre-cooked ham from the refrigerator, and diced about 4 modest slices and added it to the peppers and onions in the skillet.

While the skillet was heating up, I got out 4 eggs and beat them (yoke and whites) til blended, adding a little bit of milk because I heard someone in one of the YouTube videos say that it makes the eggs more "puffie." Then I poured the eggs over the peppers and onions in the warming skillet.

I knew I wanted the eggs to begin to stiffen up before I attempted any sort of "flip over" and so I kept playing with the edges of the eggs to see if they were ready, with my wooden spoon.  I should have left them alone, frankly, and since I was messing with them all the time, I ended up reverting back to my scrambled eggs mentality, til finally I had no hope of having a solid egg patty to flip at ALL!

Serving up the eggs with the peppers and onions and ham, I apologized for the Scrambled Ala Soupy consistency, and she politely ate the food and said that "at least it TASTES good!"

What did I learn:

a) leave the eggs alone.  I might want to tip the skillet and watch the liguid reduction, THEN when
    most of the liquidity has gone, add the ingredients and put it under a broiler (about in the middle of
    the stove) for about 2 minutes and THEN attempt a slide-n-fold.

What's next:

I still haven't decided what my next attempt will be for a particular dish, but I'm leaning towards
Meat Pie or a Chicken Pot Pie (no bottom crust?)

No comments:

Post a Comment